Just Another.....Knit!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Do the Math.....



On Friday, I decided my shawl was looking a little small. (The pattern calls for 2200 yards and so far…I have only used one ball of Zephyr. This is definitely a red flag!) I didn’t swatch…I know I like Jaggerspun Zephyr on size 5’s….Anyway…I googled “Three Cornered Shawl” and found 2 bloggers who had finished it. Both mentioned how large it is.

I measured the one side of the triangle…45” unblocked. I asked my son how to figure out the sides of a triangle when you only know one dimension. He couldn’t remember the formula. So again, I googled it…and I did the math! According to my calculations, the top of the shawl, unblocked, will be 78”. Since I knit tight…it won’t grow by one-third when I block it. I like it! Is it correct? Not a clue!

I’ll be knitting like crazy to end the suspense ; )

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger juli said…

    I think that formula (a2+b2=c2) only works for a perfect isosceles triangle. I hope e everything works out for you, it looks great so far!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Janette said…

    I used the formula for the 30-60-90triangle when you only know one side. If it's close, I'll be happy : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home